IEP article
Continuing Your IEP Even if You Start Homeschooling

Making the transition from traditional schooling to homeschooling can be a complex process, especially when a child has special needs. If your child has an Individualized Education Program (IEP), you may wonder how to continue receiving these vital services while homeschooling. It's crucial to understand that federal law—IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act)—does not obligate school districts to provide services to homeschooled children in the same manner as they do for public school students. However, some states have laws that extend beyond the federal mandate.


  • Connecticut: Generally, no obligation for districts to provide services, but some districts may negotiate services on a case-by-case basis.
  • Maine: Districts may provide limited special education services.
  • Massachusetts: Some services may be available; consult with your local district.
  • New Hampshire: Some services are provided, usually on a limited basis.
  • Rhode Island: Limited services may be offered.
  • Vermont: Some limited services are typically available.


  • Illinois: Services are generally not provided.
  • Indiana: Limited services may be offered.
  • Iowa: Generally, no services provided.
  • Michigan: Limited services may be available.
  • Minnesota: Limited services may be available.
  • Ohio: Partial services may be available; dependent on local policy.
  • Wisconsin: Some services may be offered but are limited.


  • Alabama: Generally, no services provided.
  • Florida: Access to some services, especially if enrolled in an umbrella school.
  • Georgia: Limited access to services.
  • North Carolina: Some services may be available; consult your local district.
  • Texas: No services provided for homeschooled students.
  • Virginia: Limited services may be offered.


  • Arizona: Limited services may be available.
  • California: Services are available, and part-time public school enrollment is possible.
  • Colorado: Some districts offer services.
  • Nevada: Generally, no services provided.
  • Oregon: Limited services may be available.
  • Washington: Some services available, and part-time enrollment is possible.


This overview is not exhaustive, and it's crucial to consult your state's Department of Education and local school district for the most accurate and current information. 

IEP article